Friday, April 13, 2012

I had an interview with a counsellor and he shared that he had a client who has been seeing him for 12 years. Immediately, I asked if there were changes or improvements in the person's life.

I was quite surprised at this reply.

He said, "No. In this case, its more of managing the issue. Its like a chronic issue, something like diabetes."

Somehow, I always had the impression that people's lives will definitely turn better after seeking help. I've never really heard or realised that sometimes its about managing the issue.

Quite amazed at that 'revelation' as it shows me that it does not mean that once you have broke-through, it would not come back and haunt you.

I've been really bugged about an issue in my life and it has really been bothering me. I thought everything was fine, until I was being tested in that area again.

It feels like a bondage, feels like a mental thing that weighs me down. I've no idea how to overcome it, except to do something that takes my mind off the issue, and in the process, hope that I enjoy doing it. Else, I'll just sink deeper.

And the last time this happened, I simply isolated my emotions and shut down, as much as I could. Escapism? A new word I learned today.

So today, when the counsellor mentioned about managing the issue, immediately I felt that's what I needed to do.

Yea. Face up to it, manage my emotions and allow God to fix me up.
If only I had more time with the counsellor. I'd probably ask him a lot of questions.

And the really strange thing... I felt really comfortable during the interview. Yes, I had interview jitters, but I felt comfortable to be honest, to share what I really felt and think.

And that's the best feeling I ever felt this few weeks.
Sent via BlackBerry from SingTel!

No comments: