Saturday, November 29, 2008

Is it a need or a want?

Today, I was tempted with an offer that no man could resist.

A free ($100 trade-in) iPhone 8g!

FREE OF CHARGE!

How could that be possible? My limited wisdom started to manifest and go crazy. A free iPhone! Think of all the coolness that will be added into your life! The interactive games that you get to play on the boring bus trips, the phone that's also an iPod, the very interesting navigation features; it's simply the geek's phone.

Mom made the phone call and checked. We can upgrade our plans and get the free iPhone! My heart skipped a beat upon hearing the good news and I was all geared up, ready to change and head straight to the nearest singtel shop.

Doing all these without thinking if this is a need, or a want.

Made a phone call to Bernice and she pulled me back to earth. Haha! Thank God for someone like her, so ungeeky and unfazed by technology. Pragmatic and wise, she didn't have to ask if I needed the phone. All she had to do was to sound disinterested and immediately the hype within me died. But that brought me back to reality, existence, earth.

Is the iPhone a need or a want? I definitely want it because it's cool and geeky. But do I need it now?

My sleek Sony Ericsson is serving me well. Though it has multiple functions, I would frequently use the SMS and phone call functions only. If I were to change to the iPhone, probably I'll only use the SMS and phone call functions too! Well, maybe including the games, skype, facebook and any other cool applications that make you cool.

But ultimately, does it reflect a need in my life or a want in my life?

It concluded as a want; and I love Bernice =)

No comments: