Monday, May 05, 2008

05 May 2008.

This date marks the end of my 1 year 10 months of National Service, and the beginning of my Operational Readiness.

In layman term, this is the day where many NSFs await eagerly, to collect their Pink IC and not wear the green uniform for a long period of time.

Mixed emotions consumed me as I walked out of my camp, as a civilian.

I felt happy as I've finished serving my National Service. I've done the best of my ability, been thru hell and back several times and felt like giving up on many occasions.

I still remember vividly on 06 July 2006, I handed over my Pink IC to two 3SGs. I was told that the green card I'm getting is my 11B and it's my IC from today on.

Then, a last wave to my parents and sister after we had lunch together in this place where I'll start to have my meals at for the next 9 weeks.

Soon afterwards, my head felt cool because of the $2 haircut provided by the army.

But I chose not to look back from that moment on.

I've already decided to do my best and hopefully get a place in OCS, to be an officer of the SAF. I've heard many stories about the army, about how Christians backslide because of the environment and how tough the training were.

I decided to think differently and adopt a positive attitude towards training. I know that it's during this period of time, I'll learn to rely on the Holy Spirit more than ever before. I know that this is the place where I can shine for God because of what I've in me.

Everyday, I find myself being thrust into situations. Do I really have to give my best? Do I really desire to be an officer? Do I think I really stand a chance? Do I really want to go cellgroup and service after booking out from camp?

Decisions after decisions. Spirit is willing, but my body is weak.

But i thank God for His grace. Each and every decision I made in favor of God crucified my selfish desires. Each time I say no to the devil, God is glorified. Each time I give my best effort, God is exalted. Each time I go to church and cellgroup, God gives me strength.

After 9 weeks, it was announced that I'm the Platoon Best Trainee.

Not by my strength, but by His grace.

Into OCS I went, as happy as I can be. Into this wing that many people fear.

ALPHA WING. A Motto that says, "Above, Beyond As One" A vision that says, "To create the S3F - Shiong, Shiok but Safe and Fun Environment" A Wing that's MAD, a Wing that's Making-A-Difference.

These were some of the punchline thrown to us. I was challenged and rose up to the occasion.

Yup. There were times when I felt like giving up, but something in me stirred up and urged me to carry on. There were times when I felt inadequate, but something in me rose up and took ownership of the situation.

9 months of officership training ended, with my Commissioning Parade on 09 June 2007 as an Armour Officer.

Into the 8th Brigade I went, as a Reconnaissance Officer. One of the most prestigious vocation in the Army.

I had real man under me. Sons of other parents that I'm responsible of. Everyone of them are precious and it's my duty to take care of them. I'm their Platoon Commander and friend. I'm the one that commands them during trainings and get commanded at during soccer games.

As I look back now, I've no regrets with the decisions I made.

I hope I've made a difference in their lives and I hope that they'll always remember what I've always reminded them.

Don't underestimate the power of positive thinking.

If I can do it, so can you.

No comments: