Tuesday, February 08, 2005

chinese new year eve!!

though it isn't as "exciting" as previous years, its still a great time for those unmarried because its a time of GREAT harvest~!!

going around greeting your elders, those that you see only once a year, and all they remember is that you were short, fat and ugly. but, at least they praise you by saying that you're tall, slim, pretty or suave.

some of which, you've never seen them before but they seem to remember a lot about you~ sometimes you do not even know how to address them but just to call them all uncle or auntie.

CNY is also a time where family members, including relatives, gather and have a great time together~ talking about the past, present and future. most of the time, the conversions are mixed with great humour or they add a tinge of sadness when they share about their difficult lives.

every year, my family would visit this particular "auntie" of ours. she's usually alone in the huge house and whenever we're there, she never fails to "force" food down our throat and drown us with plenty of dessert.

every year, my sister and i would sit infront of the TV and watch TV while my parents talk to her.

since i was a kid, i've always seen her standing at the window, waving her hands when we left her place. till this day, she continues doing that! i've no idea how many years ago was that, but it really seems like a long time ago~

i still remember her husband suffered stroke and was bed ridden and we went to her place to visit her husband. i was just a little boy and i ran up and down the stairs, played with the toys and tried to play the computer too~ or was i dreaming that time...

well, i'm kinda sure that our family would be visiting her again this year and there would be plenty of stories to listen once again~

other then that, there's always the angbaos~ the main reason of kiddos loving CNY is because of the overwhelming amount of angbaos~ same goes for me=P

i kinda miss travelling to malaysia for CNY too~ though i hated the journey, i had fun at a particular village called Tanjong Sepat. the entire street, rather, neighbourhood are my relatives and there's many things for me to do there~

i could go cycling, fishing, play badminton and hitch a ride on a motorbike to a mushroom plantation! most of all, the hokkien mee cooked by my relatives rawkz!! it was at the village when i fell in love with that dish and when i came back to Singapore, i always demanded for that dish~ but the standards in Singapore is WAYYYYYY below my relative's hokkien mee=P

hmm... kinda miss my grandmother too~ when i was sad in the past, i would always look at the brightest star and imagine that i'm talking to her. i would always "tell" the star my difficulties and start breaking down.

then sometimes, the memories of my grandmother fills my mind and i remember the times when she treats me sweets, ice cream, or took me out for a walk at the village~ it was really fun~ i would always remember that during my PSLE examinations, i "saw" my grandmother standing at the corner of my eyes, watching me taking my exams.

it was the same year that she passed away...

hMm.. those were the days=)

No comments: